Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Conducting an Effective Job Search

Studies have shown that conducting a job search can cause as much anxiety as planning a wedding or buying a home. So, how do you make your job search less stressful and more of an enjoyable experience? We’ve outlined our top suggestions below, and in our ‘Job Search Checklist!’  

Job Search Best Practices

  • Update your resume, LinkedIn profile and any other social media profiles.
  • Gather references, LinkedIn recommendations and/or letters of recommendation.
  • Collect any other materials that could contribute to your portfolio.
  • Think through what your ‘Professional Brand’ is (i.e. desired traits you want to be associated with.)
  • Do a quick “pulse check” on your ‘Online Image,’ and ensure it reflects your target ‘Professional Brand.’
  • Apply the 80/20 rule during your Job Search: If you meet 80% of the qualifications for a position, apply for it, and think through how you will obtain the remaining 20% of the skills needed to be successful in the role. 

Resources for Identifying Opportunities

  • Work with 1-2 Recruiters who focus on your major discipline. 
  • Join the Apex Talent Network and set job alerts based on your profile and job interests.
  • Communicate your status in the job market to your personal and professional network.
  • Get involved in your local technical community. 
  • Utilize social media.

Additional Resources


Click on the graphics below for more information about conducting an effective job search:

 Job Search Navigation Map